Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Ohio Valley Yearly Meeting

I had a rough time leading up to Ohio Valley Yearly Meeting last July. I was supposed to be one of two plenary speakers there, and I kept waiting for Spirit to give me my words, but it didn't happen. I had the right elder, however. Elaine Emily wasn't perturbed in the least. I think that she took it as a good sign that I had nothing to say!
The other plenary speaker was Doris Ferm, of Bellingham WA, who had specifically asked to speak the night before me. It turns out that she said much of what there was to be said on Ohio Valley Yearly Meeting's theme: "Seeking an Earth Restored." Now what? Talk about a tough act to follow! Her speech is available on their website, below.
I wrote some notes and an outline of sorts, for the twentieth time, but every time I started this process my whole crazy EarthQuaker gestalt came out with every thread I pulled. Finally, we had a worship before the gathering. The clerk of the Meeting assured me that Ohio Valley was ready to hear me, and I felt an easing in myself, though no language came. I knew how to open, with a song--your voice may be untrustworthy in these situations, by the way! Elaine checked my chi, we went pee, and off to plenary. Bob Schmitt had given me permission to have nothing to say, and dear friends were standing West for me. I felt held by the Spirit, humbled, tendered, and oddly ready.

I don't know how to make URL's work on this blog, but you can hear my plenary talk at: http://www.bloomington.in.us/~quaker/audio/OVYMPlenary72806.mp3
or navigate there from: http://www.bloomington.in.us/~quaker. You can also find Doris Ferm's speech here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin M. said...

If you want, I'll show you how to make a live link this weekend. If I can do it, you can do it.

I will also try to save the soundcast so we can listen to it in the car on Friday afternoon.

9:19 PM, October 10, 2006  
Blogger Robin M. said...

So we listened, and were quite moved by it, but we missed you at Quarterly.

12:13 PM, October 17, 2006  
Blogger Mark Wutka said...

Hi Carl,
Here's a Clickable link to the plenary talk

The next time you need to do it, just enter:
the link text

With love,
Mark

1:58 PM, October 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home